How To Be Prepared For A Dental EmergencyPublished 10/01/2015
Everyone hopes they will never find themselves in any sort of situation requiring emergency assistance, but knowing what to do is an important life and tooth saving tool. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has a few tips if you happen to find yourself in a dental emergency:
When a Baby Tooth is knocked out: Immediately contact your pediatric dentist. Because of the potential for damage to permanent teeth, a baby tooth should never be replanted.
When a permanent tooth is knocked out. Find the tooth and gently rise it in cool water – never scrub or clean with soap, then replace the tooth in the socket and hold it there with clean gauze or a wash cloth.
- If you cannot replace the tooth in the socket, place the tooth in a container of cold milk, saliva, or water.
- Contact your pediatric dentist immediately, and seek their services. The faster you act, the greater the likelihood of saving the tooth.
When a tooth is chipped. Contact your child's dentist immediately, quick action can save the tooth, reduces the need for extensive treatment, and prevents infection.
- Rise the mouth with water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling (if the lip was injured).
- Place any tooth fragments into cold milk or water.
Dental injuries can be prevented by following these simple suggestions.
- Children participating in sports should always wear a mouth guard and other protective gear.
- Always use seat belts and car seats.
- Child-proof your home to reduce the risk of fall and electrical injuries.
- Schedule regular check-ups with your family dentist.
- There are currently no posts made in 2017/2018, please check back later!
- Dec. 2014 - Maximize Your Dental Benefits Before December 31st!
- Nov. 2014 - Why You Should Never Delay Dental Treatment
- Oct. 2014 - Teeth-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Sept. 2014 - Dental Sealants for Children's Teeth
- Aug. 2014 - Is Your Child Missing School Due To Dental Issues?
- July 2014 - When To Wean Kids From Pacificers, Sippy-Cups, Etc.
- June 2014 - Summertime Snacks That Brighten Your Smile
- May 2014 - Health Problems Tied To Gum Disease
- Apr. 2014 - Dental Sedation For Children
- Mar. 2014 - What Parents Should Know About Fluoride
- Feb. 2014 - Children's Dental Health Month
- Dec. 2013 - 7 New Year’s Resolutions For A Healthier Smile
- Nov. 2013 - Use Your Dental Insurance Before The New Year
- Oct. 2013 - Halloween Tips For Treats
- Sept. 2013 - Baby Tooth Decay: It's Possible & Preventable
- Aug. 2013 - Help Your Child Overcome Fear Of Dentists
- July 2013 - Dental Sealants: What Parents Should Know
- June 2013 - Toddler Teeth Brushing: 6 Fun Tips!
- May 2013 - Greetings From Midland Dentistry 4 Kids!